Samantha Carrie Johnson, at age 30, has already accomplished several lifetimes worth of personal and social achievement. A chef, restauranteur, entrepreneur, actor, model, Miss Pennsylvania 2007, and MTV reality show star, Samantha devotes her energy and her time to raising consciousness, promoting plant-based health, and keeping her own life balanced.
In our conversation, Samantha and I covered:
- her adolescent health scare, and what it taught her
- the opportunities and pitfalls of being “visually accessible”
- navigating a meat-loving culture at her agricultural high school
- how Samantha became a beauty queen and kept her balance
- what the Miss USA pageant showed her about the power of authenticity
- why so many healthy restaurants fail
- how saying no to an offer from MTV led to even greater things (from MTV!)
- her work as a personal chef, food justice advocate, and organic farmer
- spreading the plant-based message in the NFL (they aren't called the GREEN Bay Packers for nothing 🙂
- the imperative to grow great things from tiny seeds in a culture in which everything – including ourselves – is for sale
- the challenge of financial responsibility for pro-social entrepreneurs
- and much more…
Enjoy, add your voice to the conversation via the comment box below, and please share – that's how we spread our message and spread our roots.
Song: “No Love Today” by Chris Smither
The Plant Yourself Podcast theme music, “Dance of Peace (Sabali Don),” is generously provided by Will Ridenour, a kora player from North Carolina who has trained with top Senegalese musicians.
It can be found on his first CD, titled Will Ridenour.
You can learn about Will, listen to more tracks, and buy music on his website, WillRidenour.com.