When Jamie Gannon was 27, he was an aspiring actor living the dream in Hollywood. Reading for films, TV, and commercials. Working his day job. Working out to keep his leading man physique. Taking voice and acting classes. And living a healthy, active life.
When it all fell apart, thanks to a golf-ball sized malignant tumor at the base of his brain.
A tumor that, even after its removal and long courses of chemo and other intensive medical therapies, left Jamie with a 10-15% chance at survival.
Seventeen years later, Jamie is cancer-free. He's a health coach who guides other cancer survivors to get their lives back following diagnosis and successful treatment.
Our conversation has inspired me to check out and start doing an ancient Chinese health practice. And to be a more present, grateful person. (I love doing this podcast!)
In our talk, we covered:
- denial of a problem, and the lengths Jamie went to maintain it
- the link between the polio vaccine and his cancer (this isn't tinfoil hat conspiracy theory, but accepted scientific correlation with a clear causal link)
- why he tells clients to view their cancer as a “golden ticket”
- his discovery of medical chi gong
- the almost universal concept of life energy (everywhere except Western reductionist medicine)
- Master Zhou's “parlor tricks” for skeptics
- the 2007 NIH study of chi gong
- the importance of diaphragmatic breathing in moving the “chi”
- acting as a vehicle for chi gong (“You can't shit tears”)
- Feldenkrais and Alexander Technique
- how and why Jamie eventually eliminated all animal products from his diet
- “chemo brain” – cognitive impairment from chemotherapy, and how the medical establishment dismissed until recently
- the benefits of being “a very sensitive instrument” of what's helpful and harmful to health
- the rhetorical problem with militant veganism (“your mother was hurting you”)
- Dr Joel Fuhrman's GBOMBS as an acronym for a balanced plant-based diet
- the coaching model of health consulting (vs the “I know better than you” approach) when clients express deep doubts about evidence
- the dangers of overwhelming clients with too much information
- and much more…
Enjoy, add your voice to the conversation via the comment box below, and please share – that's how we spread our message and spread our roots.
CancerTreatmentRecovery.com (Jamie's practice website)
The Virus and the Vaccine, by Debbie Bookchin and Jim Schumacher
Nutrition, Adult Hippocampal Neurogenesis and mental health (PDF of Sandrine Thuret paper)
Support the Podcast
Like what you hear? You can contribute to the growth and improvement of the podcast by becoming a patron. Click the “Support on Patreon” or “Donate” buttons on the right to help out.
Big thanks to Plant Yourself Podcast patrons Kim Harrison, Lynn McLellan, Anthony Dissen, Brittany Porter, Dominic Marro, Elizabeth Clifton, Barbara Whitney, Tammy Black, Amy Good, Amanda Hatherly, Mary Jane Wheeler, Ellen Kennelly, Melissa Cobb, Rachel Behrens, and Christine Nielsen.
May all your avocados be perfectly ripe exactly when you need them!
Check out my online TV show, Triangle Be Well. This week I talk with guest expert Michael Edelstein, a cognitive behavioral therapist, about how to change our bad habits into good ones.
I can help you navigate the medical system and adopt a healthy lifestyle
I'm available for one-on-one consulting and coaching to help you navigate the medical system, make informed decisions, take control of your health destiny, and achieve true wellness and not just medical management of disease.
Ask your questions or share your feedback
Comment on the show notes for this episode (below)
Call 919-794-3735 to leave a voicemail
Connect with me
The Plant Yourself Podcast theme music, “Dance of Peace (Sabali Don),” is generously provided by Will Ridenour, a kora player from North Carolina who has trained with top Senegalese musicians.
It can be found on his first CD, titled Will Ridenour.
You can learn about Will, listen to more tracks, and buy music on his website, WillRidenour.com.
This post may contain amazon affiliate links. I may receive amazon gift certificates from your actions on such links.