Time sensitive announcement (Tuesday 2 August 2016): Today's the very last day to register for the live Big Change Program! (Actually, you just missed the first live class, but we've added an extra one for this coming Thursday 4 August.) A full year of support for your Big Change in health, energy, fitness, physique, and joy. Online classes, access to all recordings, 3x/month group coaching, and much more. It won't ever be $297 again. Read more and join here (and as a bonus, discover how bad I am at classical guitar).
Olivia Kelly is CEO of WellStart Health, a startup wellness company whose foundation is a plant-centered diet. Armed with a “why not me?” attitude, a background in fitness and health, and a dream, Olivia co-founded WellStart Health to change the game in corporate wellness and healthcare.
It's a big task, given that there's roughly $3 trillion spent every year on healthcare in the US, and precious little of that is being spent productively.
Olivia and I talked about her journey and her background, and how she leveraged her skills and experiences to design and grow a health promotion program that works for people.
In our conversation, we covered :
- the founding of WellStart Health
- the elements of a successful health behavior change intensive
- how to use technology to engage and motivate people
- the necessity of a foundation of plant-based eating
- the importance (and difficulty in making time for) self-care
- Olivia's background as a fitness trainer, surfer, stock trader, political consultant, and world traveler
- teaching plant-based eating through daily goals
- how to use text messages to keep participants on track
- the value of light competition
- the biggest behavioral challenges and stumbling blocks experienced by participants
- the crucial component of social support
- an invitation to skeptics to “suspend disbelief” and try it for a few weeks
- creating a potentially lucrative business model – and what that's so important
- how to use biometrics to assess progress and estimate ROI
- the Rand Corporation study on the ROI of wellness programs (spoiler: it ain't good)
- the problem of low expectations of patients by clinicians, and the unfortunate popularity of the DASH diet
- eating a bad diet today is like smoking 20 years ago – and the doctors are mostly doing it
- the upcoming zero-cost pilot for California residents – email to apply, or let your friends know about it
Enjoy, add your voice to the conversation via the comment box below, and please share – that's how we spread our message and spread our roots.
Email Olivia to join the next free 12-week health improvement pilot program:
Support the Podcast
Like what you hear? You can contribute to the growth and improvement of the podcast by becoming a patron. Click the “Support on Patreon” or “Donate” buttons on the right to help out.
- Kim Harrison
- Lynn McLellan
- Anthony Dissen
- Brittany Porter
- Dominic Marro
- Elizabeth Clifton
- Barbara Whitney
- Tammy Black
- Amy Good
- Amanda Hatherly
- Mary Jane Wheeler
- Ellen Kennelly
- Melissa Cobb
- Rachel Behrens
- Christine Nielsen
- Tina Scharf
- Tina Ahern
- Jen Vilkinofsky
- David Byczek
- Michele X
- Elspeth Feldman
- Viktoriya Dolomanova
- Leah Stolar
Check out my online TV show, Triangle Be Well. This week I talk about navigating our health destinies under extremely severe and unfavorable conditions.
I can help you navigate the medical system and adopt a healthy lifestyle
I'm available for one-on-one consulting and coaching to help you navigate the medical system, make informed decisions, take control of your health destiny, and achieve true wellness and not just medical management of disease.
Ask your questions or share your feedback
Comment on the show notes for this episode (below)
Call 919-794-3735 to leave a voicemail
Connect with me
The Plant Yourself Podcast theme music, “Dance of Peace (Sabali Don),” is generously provided by Will Ridenour, a kora player from North Carolina who has trained with top Senegalese musicians.
It can be found on his first CD, titled Will Ridenour.
You can learn about Will, listen to more tracks, and buy music on his website, WillRidenour.com.
This post may contain amazon affiliate links. I may receive amazon gift certificates from your actions on such links.