Thomas M. Campbell is a family practice doctor in Rochester, NY, an instructor of Clinical Family Medicine at the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, and executive director of the T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutritional Studies. He's also co-author of what's probably the most influential book on science-based nutrition, The China Study.
Despite being the child of T. Colin Campbell, Tom was never groomed for a leadership role in the nutritional or medical fields. He was pursuing an acting career in Chicago when his dad asked him to help translate decades of scientific communication into a book for the public.
Three and a half years of scientific immersion later, Tom let go of his acting aspirations and looked instead for a way to share powerful and suppressed information with the general public.
In our conversation, we cover:
- what it was like growing up in a household where nutritional discoveries were being made and implemented
- the process of writing The China Study, and how it impelled Tom toward a career in healing
- the two words Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn said to Tom that convinced him to go to medical school
- the experience of being a bestselling author about nutrition while sitting in medicine school classes in which nutrition was ignored or incorrectly presented
- what Tom learned through his clinical practice
- obstacles to a lifestyle-based revolution in health-care, and what it would take to achieve
- why it's so important to speak doctors' language when advocating for better nutrition
- the online education initiative of the Center for Nutritional Studies, and who should check it out
- why Tom wrote a companion volume to The China Study 10 years later
- how collaborating with T. Colin Campbell on a book changed both of us
- whether there's a difference between 90 and 100% whole food plant based
- the suprising good news about the USDA food guidelines
- the most powerful reasons people – even people suffering from lifestyle diseases – fail to adopt a plant-based diet
- a preview of The Campbell Plan
- and much more…
Dig it? Got a question? Add your voice to the conversation via the comments box below, and please share – that's how we spread our roots and spread our message.
The China Study, by T. Colin Campbell and Thomas Campbell