Alan Goldhamer, DC, is coauthor, with Doug Lisle, of The Pleasure Trap, and co-founder and director of one of the most important medical institutions in the world: The True North Health Center in Santa Rosa, California. Using lifestyle medicine and supervised water fasting, the staff at True North achieve medical miracles on a daily basis.
Simply by letting the body heal faster than it can be made sick.
The healing power of water fasting is so remarkable that reputable medical journals feared for their credibility when asked to publish Goldhamer's results. Only recently has the British Medical Journal published a case report of a woman whose follicular lymphoma disappeared after 21 days of water fasting and 9 months of clean eating.
When my Whole lead author T. Colin Campbell's wife Karen was diagnosed with melanoma, she resolved it at True North through a couple of weeks of water fasting.
So when Alan speaks about disease reversal and optimal living, I listen. In our conversation today, we discussed:
- how a desire to win at basketball led Alan to a “50-year experiment”
- why working at True North is “the best job in the world”
- the novel experience of seeing sick people get well
- why he became a chiropractor, and why his uncle threw a fit when he found out
- why medical journals refused to publish the most powerful research on hypertension ever conducted
- the changing (for the better) research landscape, including retrospective research on 15,000 former patients
- which conditions predictably respond well to water fasting, and why
- why everyone should avoid sugar and oil, and why many people should avoid salt
- what's wrong with whole wheat?
- the three foundations of health (diet, sleep, and exercise)
- why a slice of plain steamed zucchini was the best food I've ever eaten following a water fast
- why fasting seems to work so well
- the pleasure trap, and why sick and obese people can't get well and lean until they get out of it
- why the fact that humans, unique among primates, have evolved the ability to fast is so significant
- why animal products should be avoided, even though only one class is technically a “pleasure trap” food
- Alan's 85-year-old patient who just scheduled his next appointment for 2030
- and much more…
Enjoy, add your voice to the conversation via the comment box below, and please share – that's how we spread our message and spread our roots.
The Pleasure Trap – on amazon
Support the Podcast
Like what you hear? You can contribute to the growth and improvement of the podcast by becoming a patron. Click the “Support on Patreon” or “Donate” buttons on the right to help out.
Big thanks to Plant Yourself Podcast Patrons Kim Harrison, Lynn McLellan, and Anthony Dissen for their generous support of the show. Choukrane! (as they say in Agadir).
Check out my online TV show, Triangle Be Well. This week I talk about nothing, because an ice storm kept me home all day. But you can watch archived editions at the link above.
I can help you navigate the medical system and adopt a healthy lifestyle
I'm available for one-on-one consulting and coaching to help you navigate the medical system, make informed decisions, take control of your health destiny, and achieve true wellness and not just medical management of disease.
Ask your questions or share your feedback
Connect with me
The Plant Yourself Podcast theme music, “Dance of Peace (Sabali Don),” is generously provided by Will Ridenour, a kora player from North Carolina who has trained with top Senegalese musicians.
It can be found on his first CD, titled Will Ridenour.
You can learn about Will, listen to more tracks, and buy music on his website, WillRidenour.com.
This post may contain amazon affiliate links. I may receive amazon gift certificates from your actions on such links.